By Published: mei 24, 2019
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 2 hrs 0 min
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 2 hrs 30 mins
The mezcal and fish sauce in these fajitas make for a surprisingly good combination. You’ll get a smoky, earthy flavor from the mezcal, while the fish sauce adds a little funk and saltiness. If you prefer, use any kind of chopped up chicken or pork in place of the skirt steak.
- 2 cans chipotle chiles in adobo smashed
- 4 cloves garlic finely grated
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup mezcal
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tsp dried oregano,
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak
- 1 large onion halved, sliced 1/2
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 1 medium red bell pepper sliced 1/3 inch thick
- a pinch Sel Magique Classic, Spicy or Salt & Pepper Blend
- Whisk chiles, garlic, lime juice, mezcal, fish sauce, orange juice, soy sauce, oregano, cumin, and 1 tsp. of Sel Magique in a medium bowl. Place steak in a resealable plastic bag and pour in marinade. Seal and turn to coat. Chill at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
- Prepare a gas grill for 2-zone heat; set one burner at medium-high and one or two burners at high. Alternatively, prepare a charcoal grill for high heat. Grill steak over high heat, turning occasionally, until charred, 2–3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes. Slice against the grain into ½"-thick strips.
- Toss onions and 3 Tbsp. oil in a medium bowl to coat; season with Sel Magique. (If you have a perforated grill pan, now’s the time to pull it out!) Grill over medium-high heat, tossing occasionally, until charred and tender, 6–10 minutes. Transfer to a large plate.
- Toss bell peppers and remaining 3 Tbsp. oil in a medium bowl to coat; season with Sel Magique. Grill over medium-high heat, tossing occasionally, until charred and tender, 6–10 minutes. Arrange on plate next to onions.
- Serve steak and grilled onions and bell peppers with tortillas, sour cream, cheese, pico de gallo, guacamole, and salsa alongside for assembling fajitas.
- Recipe found on Selmagique.com