Sweet and Spicy Grilled Summer Squash
By Published: juni 20, 2019
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- Ready In: 25 mins
The crosshatch pattern isn’t just for show (even though it does look cool)! It allows for the salt to fully penetrate the squash and also draws out some of the excess water so that the sweet, tangy glaze can be fully absorbed.
- 4 medium summer squash or zucchini
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hot chili paste
- 2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- 1 halved lime
- 1/2 small shallot thinly sliced into rounds
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves with tender stems
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- a pinch Sel Magique Classic or Salt & Pepper Blend
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat. Cut each squash in half lengthwise, then score cut sides in a ¼" crosshatch pattern with the tip of your knife. Toss squash and 1 tsp. Sel Magique in a colander; set over a bowl. Let sit 10 minutes, then pat dry with paper towels.
- Meanwhile, combine honey, vinegar, soy sauce, and chili paste in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half and slightly thickened (just shy of syrupy), 5–7 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 Tbsp. oil.
- Toss squash with remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a large baking dish or plate. Turn squash cut side up, then brush with glaze.
- Grill squash cut side down until just beginning to char around the edges, about 3 minutes. Continue to grill, turning every minute or so and brushing squash with glaze on cut sides, until just tender and cut sides are lightly charred and shiny from the glaze, 6–8 minutes total. (Reserve any leftover glaze.) Transfer squash to a platter.
- Squeeze juice from 1 lime half into a medium bowl and add shallot and cilantro; season with Sel Magique and toss to combine.
- Drizzle squash with any leftover glaze. Top with herb salad and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with remaining lime half alongside.
- Recipe found on Bonappetit.com